Emotional Personal Development

.
Click my picture for You Tube
or here for my web page!

1-509-925-9385

Friday, May 28, 2010

Boundaries

I was having a great coaching session with my good friend Adrienne. We were discussing the feedback on my You Tube videos and how it affected me. I was analyzing my reaction during and after the conversation with the person I was asking feedback from. At first, I understood and was thankful for the honest tips. After the call I was motivated to change everything about how I look. Even longer after the cal, I began feeling hurt and worthless. After I discussed the feelings I had in the journal community I felt empowered again to keep making my videos but to chart my progress in hopes that others could learn from what I was experiencing.

So, let me get back to the point. I was talking to Adrienne asking her to help me figure out why I have a delay in my reactions to situations that bother me deep down inside. I know my feelings are hurt, I try to pretend they aren't. I even convince myself that I am okay with everything. I know somewhere inside of me that the meltdown is going to happen, but I try to act like it is not. I act if everything is okay and then I realize eventually it is not okay.

We (Adrienne) and I began looking back in my week at what really triggered this feeling of unworthiness that was prompting me to want to give up on my life coaching. It stemmed from the comments my Dad made to me days before the call I set up to receive feedback and suggestion on how to make my videos more effective. I first reacted to what my Dad said with no response to him. I did not tell him I didn't appreciate what he said, I just let it roll of my back. Then I vented to my coaching group and said I was fine. I thought I was. A few days later I shut down. Not for long, but I shut down and began to doubt myself. Then, because I don't give up, I reached out for help from my friend and she helped me to see what the underlying cause of all of the unworthiness was.

It was me NOT setting boundaries. Not telling my Dad that the way he was talking to me was not acceptable. It started the whole cycle. I feel like I don't have a say. I convince myself I am fine with whatever has gone on. It starts to fester inside of me and I get angry. I begin to play the situation over and over in my head until I shut down. So what the little wise woman pointed out to me was that if I set my boundaries I could skip the denial and shut down steps of this process that I don't like. I decided, that if I carry that one step further and allow myself to be upset, grieve, feel the emotions for however long I need to, before analyzing it, I can move through the emotions instead around them.

My emotions were being ignored or skipped over and that was what caused me to shut down. My inner self, in order to not go crazy, made me have emotional overload causing me to shut down and deal with the emotions I tried to ignore.

Of course, being the analytical person I am, I took this one step further and realized ignoring my emotions or denying them is directly related to being abused and told to be quiet about it. Or having a feeling of fright or anger that I was told I should not show. Not being allowed to cry. Being made to feel like I was exaggerating the situation in my home. It makes perfect sense to me now. And what really blows me away is that I had NO idea that it came from me needing to set boundaries. What a trickle down effect this can have. So many areas of my life, that seem so unrelated, are completed related to the inability to set boundaries.

Now with this new knowledge and understanding of myself, I can see how setting my boundaries can really change my life in a positive way. It is exactly what I am learning in the You University program. That "Life is a school", with each new bit of information I can correlate it to my history and apply it to my future story and have more of an impact on the outcome. I can create my life. I can make it be the way I want it to be. I am in control of my own destiny instead of a victim of my circumstance. This is powerful stuff. I mean powerful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boundaries are hard. We're not taught as children how to set boundaries in a healthy way.

We're taught to be nice to each other in a subservient way. We grow up thinking that to be nice to someone is to allow them to walk all over us.

Later on in life this can carry over into an almost martyr-like existence when it comes to dealing with other people.

I've recognized this in myself. Instead of saying, "No," I'll put up with things, do things, over work myself, all because I haven't set boundaries with other people and with myself.

Those of us who are kind-hearted people often overlook our own needs because we take it upon ourselves to look after others first.

It catches up with us, though, if we don't stop and face all those emotions that we ignore or just plain shut away.

Knowledge of ourselves and how we think, react and feel, is a wonderful thing to learn.

The "Life is a School" attitude, when applied to our lives in a very real way, can help us overcome our fear of looking deep within ourselves and analyzing our deepest emotions.

I wish I'd learned this when I was a child. Powerful stuff indeed.

Maia Berens said...

I'm being so blown away by my little chickadees. You guys are the most brilliant of students. I am already jealous of your future clients. They will have the benefit of all this wisdom and awareness - talk about a "trickle down effect"! I love you. I admire you. I am so proud to say I have had something to do with opening these inner doors for you.

Maia

Adrienne Summer said...

Absolutely brilliant! Thank you for explaining your whole process here. I have learned so much about you and I believe this will help out our future clients too. You are not the only one who does this. In some ways most of us do and allowing ourselves to feel emotions instead of brushing them aside is very healthy.

Savina Cavallo said...

Crystal, a really deep breakthrough you are having here. I agree with Adrienne's comment that we all have these issues with boundaries and it's a moment to moment process of becoming aware of our issues and mindful to love ourselves by taking care of ourselves.

Share This