Emotional Personal Development

.
Click my picture for You Tube
or here for my web page!

1-509-925-9385

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Trading Up

Trading up is the topic this week in my online journaling community, and it came just in time to help me apply it to something that just happened.

So, I am a new Life Coach and I recently changed the message on my answering machine to include this information. Well, I live in the same town as my Father, and he called while I was on the other line. The machine came on and he heard the message. When I called him back, he proceeded to make fun of me. Yeah, I know. How mature is that. Not to mention rude, and on and on and on. So, I did my ranting. Talked to my life coach about it. Did an anger exercise, twice, and went to work out.

Where does the trading up come in. Well, I would have in the past let his ignorance really get me down. It would have taken me a week to stop replaying his comments in my head. However, I "trade up" and decided to not allow this situation to dominate my day or my mind. I got over it fast. As a matter of fact, when I returned from my workout at the pool, I had forgotten the whole thing!

It feels great not to give him the power anymore. I am in control of what affects me. I also decided next time he makes this type of comment I am going to let him know that I don't want to hear it. That if he can't say nice, empowering things to me then I don't want to hear from him. That should go over real well. But again, I am doing it for my own empowerment. I do not care about what it does to him. I am not here on this earth for him to destroy anymore!

And by the way, I know why he does what he does. And I don't care anymore. I am not making excuses for his behavior anymore. I have been his punching bag for long enough. What really feels great is that in writing about this, I have no anger or sadness.

1 comment:

Adrienne Summer said...

This is so motivating to hear. I just did a video on boundaries and you are here living it. AWESOME! I am so proud of you. You such an inspiration. Thank you.

Share This