Emotional Personal Development

.
Click my picture for You Tube
or here for my web page!

1-509-925-9385

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

The infamous day of honoring our Mother's or being honored by our children, Mothers day. But what does that really mean? Buying flowers, gifts, gathering to eat a  meal are some of the traditional ways the day is recognized. So much of what we do is dictated by what society and marketing professionals pitch to us that we should do to line their pockets with money from the revenue created by our spending frenzies. I dream for the Mother's Day when it is truly about honoring the role of women in our society. The caretakers, the cook, the housekeeper, the taxi driver are some of the many roles that women play in one single day. I would like to be recognized for this with words and gestures that are done by the people we serve daily as a thanks for our constant support. I am not saying that people don't do this, but I wonder what it would look like if we were not allowed to buy anything to celebrate the day?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Crystal, I was thinking along these same lines yesterday. It all seems like a marketing ploy. Plus, I'm always uncomfortable with the expectations days like this create - you know what I mean?
Staci

Crystal said...

I do know what you mean Staci. Whenever I put expectations on anything, then I am setting myself up for disappointment. I have to be in control of creating the situation instead of waiting for someone else to do it. This way I ensure I get what I need.
~Thanks for the great comment.
Crystal

Share This