Emotional Personal Development

.
Click my picture for You Tube
or here for my web page!

1-509-925-9385

Friday, August 20, 2010

Receiving Love and Gifts of Gratitude

On a human level love and gratitude is validating. It gives purpose to our existence. On a personal level it makes me feel proud of the person I am. I feel rewarded by the gratitude. It makes me smile and have an energy that is vibrant and contagious.

If gratitude is hard to receive, I try to look at why. It may be that I don't feel like I deserve the gratitude. This could be because I know I could have done better, or it could be because I am not used to hearing it. In my life I have not heard much gratitude. It is not something I experienced in my family. It was almost viewed as a sign of weakness to express your gratitude to someone.
I really don't think having a hard time receiving compliments or gifts or love has anything to do with not having gratitude yourself. I think it has more to do with not having the proper amount of self esteem and self value. I think it is learned early on by the adults around you and what they role model. This is a good thing because it can be re-learned once you realize that you are not able to receive it properly. I have had to relearn this and it has been just as powerful as learning to have a grateful attitude. They both go hand in hand.

1 comment:

Adrienne Summer said...

Beautiful post. This really hit home for me. That part of me that feels like I don't deserve can be so loud sometimes. I really have to pay attention to what I want to portray to others around me. I am grateful for what I have and I appreciate others being grateful for me. Thank you for this eye opening article.

Share This