Emotional Personal Development

.
Click my picture for You Tube
or here for my web page!

1-509-925-9385

Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Attitude of Gratitude

My attitude of gratitude controls how happy I am in my life. Life still goes on and stuff is always happening, but my perception of the stuff that happens it so much brighter when I am able to find the gift. I have lived my life with no gratitude and it got me no where but depressed, broke and very addicted. My search for the perfect high was really my way of trying to create a sense of gratitude. But, I have since learned that no substance can give me this. It is only through my own choice of outlook that I can feel grateful. I give this to myself. No one else does. No substance does. This is actually a great thing. It costs nothing but my time and energy. I do not have to count on anyone to give it to me. And, it is available all of the time!





When I encounter that ungrateful person, I have no desire to be around them. I may try to get them to see how their attitude affects their life, but if I am met with resistance, I just try to remove myself from their presence as soon as possible. When this is not an option, like with my kids, I try to role model for them what great power gratitude has in it. If they are insisting on staying stuck in negativity, I listen, and then I ask them to try and state one positive thing about what ever is going on. They usually can. It is like changing a bad habit, I keep reinforcing the idea and eventually they will make the change. Hopefully they don't leave the nest and forget everything I taught them! But since the kids' Dads are perfect examples of ungrateful people and what you get from a negative attitude, I think they can see the contrast and will make the choice to be grateful.

Being ungrateful seems like such a waste of time and energy. It also affects the vibe around the ungrateful person. I want to see a positive change globally and when people don't buy into this it bothers me. It is defeating my purpose. On a personal level when my family is not grateful for the things I do, I am hurt. I feel like I am not valued. I am learning however that if family continues to be ungrateful, then I have to be the one to stop giving. Otherwise I am just setting myself up for disappointment. With my children, I don't stop giving. They are my students and I am to teach them. So, I explain to them the best I can how they are making me feel and that a consequence could be me ceasing to do the nice things I do. I explain that is not what I want to do, what I want is them to be grateful and to show that with their action or words.

This topic is going to need more than one entry, so I will leave it here for now.

2 comments:

Marilyn Kvasnok said...

Hi Crystal,
Thanks for adding a link to your site on my Link Love 2010 site. Thought you'd like to know how I got here.

I learned long ago that you can't change other people. You can only change yourself. I think you're on the right track by being a role model for your kids. Good luck ... and enjoy every day with them. They grow up so fast!

~Marilyn

Maia Berens said...

Imagine a world where you teach the parents about the power of gratitude and they teach their children the same.

Share This