Emotional Personal Development

.
Click my picture for You Tube
or here for my web page!

1-509-925-9385

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Conversation that never was

THE PROBLEM:

I am really sick of how you are such a part-time Dad and that the only time you want to take your kids is when it is convenient for you. Your partying always comes first. You are almost 50 years old and you keep acting like a child. You make me sick. You don't care about building a relationship with them. You certainly aren't concerned about my stress level. If you did you would answer the phone when I call and need you to help out with them.

I know you are a liar and probably always have been. Who am I kidding. You have lied the entire time I have known you. I let you, I was so needy that I ignored the signs. I wasn't perfect either. I was not faithful and I lied about it. We killed our relationship with drugs and alcohol and the final straw was my sobriety. You never supported me in that, and now you are going off the deep end. What a loser you are.

Sometimes I wish you would just disappear. Fade out of our lives so that your inconsistencies with the kids would stop being hurt by you. But that would be a catch 22, they would be heart broken. Really I just want you to have no affect on me or them and that only seems possible if you just go away.

You are ignorant and arrogant. I am done with men like you. I deserve better, I am better. I am done being held captive by men like you who prey on my neediness. I am not needy anymore. I do not need someone to make me whole. I am completing myself. When I am ready to attract the right person into my life I will. As a matter of fact, from now on, whatever I need in my life I will attract.

I have always had the power to manifest what I need. I just was hiding from it. I have created incredible children, yes you helped, but from here on out I will teach them how to also manifest everything they need. This is my gift to you and me.





THE QUESTION:
I'm curious... why did you go with this guy in the first place.
I see this all the time. Women going with guys, that you know won't go anywhere, its just not a good match. do they think they will change these guys.. is their an attraction to these "bad boys" what is it?



THE ANSWER:
Great question, and I didn't used to know the answer to it. I thought growing up that it had something to do with the "bad boy" image, and in part it does.

In order for you to understand I need to explain the environment I grew up in. This is not an excuse for my choices in men, but it does have a huge impact. My Dad was an alcoholic who beat the hell out of my Mom and terrorized us both. He also sexually abused me and raped her. He was mean, and there was constant chaos in my environment. The extended family was always yelling, cussing, fighting and drinking at any gathering or holiday. The kids were allowed to drink at an early age of about 8 or so, it was just normal. All of the craziness was normal life to me.

I think what felt familiar, is what I attracted, and also what felt right when I found it. The men I dated and the man I married did not treat me good. I knew they didn't but I thought it was normal man/woman behavior. I also felt very negative about myself inside and that I was getting what I deserved. I was desperate to be loved. I spent many years in bad relationships and being addicted to alcohol and drugs. I thought I liked life out of control.

During all of this time I was a productive person in society and well liked. I have always had a side of me that is very smart and spiritual, it just didn't get the chance to shine. I felt like I was mostly in survival mode. Once I started connecting with people who didn't live in chaos, and I decided that being an addict was not how I wanted to live, I could see that the choices I was making were creating my crappy life and bad relationships. But for the longest time I just played the victim and figured this is the hand that life had dealt me.

I am so grateful that I know now that I am in control of how I live and who I live my life with. I know that I deserve more than the 'bad boy' who is going to treat me bad. I know that my needs matter and that there are people out there who know how to have a good relationship. I am also learning to love myself and not be so desperate to be loved. One of the hardest lessons I learned that was love and sex are not synonymous. I was taught this concept wrong by being sexualized and I had to re-learn it the hard way.

With all of this being said, I really am glad I have the experiences I have. They give me so much knowledge to share with others and wonderful skills for parenting. I know exactly what I do NOT want for my kids because of what I went through. I also know that someday when the time is right I will attract a 'good guy' who is willing to have a give and take relationship. It is a an exciting thought really, to have a healthy relationship.

4 comments:

Adrienne Summer said...

That was an amazing way to look at this topic. I love your honesty and insight. I am really impressed. The education in this blog deserves to be shared.

Maia Berens said...

Your understanding of the problems and issues is like a first-hand report. If I had a life like you used to have, I'd ask you help me get it straightened out. YOU are so wise.

Savina Cavallo said...

Crystal, there is so much honesty and self-understanding in this post. You've been through so much, but at the same time, I can see that you've also learned many lessons from it.

Crystal said...

Thank you my friends for all of your love and support!

Share This